Friday, May 2, 2014

Friday 56: Silken Promises by Lisa Bingham


       Without warning he jerked away, pushing her to the floor.

      "What in----" Gunfire erupted, and the dull smack of a bullet striking the carriage filled her ears. 

Posted for The Friday 56, which is hosted by Freda's Voice

Silken Promises by Lisa Bingham

Here we have a con artist as our heroine and the hero is a U.S. marshal who has been on hot her trail for years. Ten years ago, 13 year old Fiona McFee had seen Jacob Grey, butt naked and tied up in a field of foxtails. Being a daughter of an Irish conman, she refuses to release him and he swears to catch up with her. Although he traces her but the father-daughter duo are always one step ahead and do not get caught. 

 Jacob wants to catch a counterfeiter and has an offer to change her life for the better. He promises a full pardon for both her and her father if she agrees to poses as a wealthy British widow and play poker like an ace on a tourist train heading West. (She is very good with cards).

She has no choice not to agree as he has her father as a hostage. However, turning her into a sophisticated widow is easier said than done. She has the wrong accent and her manners are sadly lacking! He writes a letter to his sister but two elderly spinster sisters intercept the letter and arrive at the hotel to help!

They do succeed where Jacob had failed but they are so feisty that Jacob does know how to deal with them. Both the spinster sisters steal our heart with their amusing and eccentric ways. There is danger, death, deceit and trouble along the way. There is not a single dull moment in the novel. I quite liked the tailor too who use to work with dynamite before his tailoring days!

That cover is totally misplaced  but the novel is rollicking fun.

12 comments:

fredamans said...

I would definitely love to read more!
Happy weekend!

Juli Rahel said...

The cover did make me pause for a moment, but the summary sounds really fun! I love funny widows! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you enjoy it!
My Friday post
Juli @ Universe in Words

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

I love the sound of this :) great choice for your 56!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! Where are they? Love never has a dull moment; thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Fiza said...

Nice one! Wouldn't read it looking at the cover but you sure did spark my curiosity there ;)

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

Sounds fun! Been a while since I read a romance.

Yvonne said...

Sounds good and it's a pretty cover.

Have a great weekend!

Vicki said...

Yikes!!
They better be doing some ducking!!

Cheryl said...

This sounds like a great book. I would love to read it.

Bea said...

That looks like an old school cover. Intriguing blurb, sounds like it could be fun.

guiltlessreader said...

I wouldn't pick this up because of that old-fashioned cover (I mean really, who designs a cover like that?)... but if you say it's fun, I believe you! It does sound like a engrossing read.

Tea said...

This reminds me of the historical romances I use to read. That was mainly what I read. I loved those books. Reading the Friday 56 brought back good memories.