Thursday, May 1, 2014

Crime Fiction Pick of the Month April 2014

The Crime Fiction Pick of the Month meme is hosted at Mysteries in Paradise. Bloggers link to a summary post for the month, and identify a crime fiction best read of the month.

Crime Fiction Pick of the Month 2014
I read 18 novels in April. Out of which, only three are Crime Fiction. Usually I read all kinds of Crime Fiction, so 3 out of 18 is a surprise even for me. 

I read Literary Fiction, Historical Romances, Poetry etc.

The following three are Crime Fiction. I have reviewed only two. 

1. Murder Strikes a Pose by Tracy Weber
2. Chilled to the Bone by Quentin Bates
3. Dead Set by Will Carver 

I am picking out Chilled to the Bone by Quentin Bates as the Pick of the Month.


Synopsis (Goodreads)

When a shipowner is found dead, tied to a bed in one of Reykjavik's smartest hotels, sergeant Gunnhildur Gisladottir of the city police force sees no evidence of foul play but still suspects things are not as cut and dried as they seem. And as she investigates the shipowner's untimely - and embarrassing - demise, she stumbles across a discreet bondage society whose members are being systematically exploited and blackmailed.

But how does all this connect to a local gangster recently returned to Iceland after many years abroad, and the unfortunate loss of a government laptop containing sensitive data about various members of the ruling party? What begins as a straightforward case for Gunnhildur soon explodes into a dangerous investigation, uncovering secrets that ruthless men are ready to go to violent extremes to keep.

Click on the title to read my review or click here

4 comments:

Harvee said...

Sounds like a good thriller! I have read over 20 crime novels since the beginning of the year, and hope to expand genres as you have!

TracyK said...

Eighteen books! I could never read that many. The Quentin Bates book sounds very good, and I have the first in the series. I must get to reading it.

Anonymous said...

I tried Quentin Bates years ago but didn't take to him, maybe I should give him another try? My crime pick for April was Keep Your Friends Close by Paula Daley.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I've been light on crime fiction this year, but reading more romance so I'm not complaining :)