Friday, November 15, 2013

Book Beginnings on Fridays/The Friday 56/Friday Four Fill-in Fun Blog Hop

Book Beginnings on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, where bloggers share the first sentence or more of a current read, as well as initial thoughts about the sentence(s), impressions of the book, or anything else that the opening inspires.

Sometimes, to hide your sadness, you have to cut yourself in two. That way you can bury half of yourself, the unspeakable half, and leave the rest to face to the world. I can tell you the first time I did this. I was fourteen years old, standing in a bathroom stall holding the last note I would ever receive from my friend Romina, a note consisting of a single question in furious capital letters.

We had been in class together for years, but did not grow close until we were thirteen, when Romina began to have her experience. That was her own word for it, experience, spoken in a hallowed tone that gave it an aura of great mystery.

The Friday 56 is a fun meme to do hosted by Freda's Voice. If you'd like to join on the fun go to The Friday 56.

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it here.

I don't have time, she shouts, and just before the door slams: I'm not dead.

~~Perla by Carolina De Robertis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PhotobucketEvery Friday, Hilary of Feeling Beachie lists four statements with a blank for you to fill in on your own blogs.

This week’s statements:



  • Kids make me happy because they are so innocent


  • Whenever someone tells me that I have a great smile I get very happy


  • I know I should never get angry but sometimes I can’t help it


  •  I have fond memories of reading with my dad from childhood


    1. 17 comments:

      Unknown said...

      Very interesting excerpts. I am playing along with the Friday 56: http://meandu-justthinking.blogspot.ca/2013/11/the-friday-56-111513.html

      Laurel-Rain Snow said...

      I'm curious about this one now...thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting my blog.

      fredamans said...

      Awesome snippets, it sounds like a powerful story.

      Happy weekend!

      Harvee said...

      I have heard of the ones who disappeared in Argentina. I'd love to read this book.

      Kathy Martin said...

      What intriguing selections you chose. The book sounds amazing. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy reading!

      Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

      Hi Gautami,

      The very first line on its own would have had me wanting to read on, although I also need to know what the question was and what 'experience' Romina was having.

      This sounds like a very powerful and moving story and that cover art is just so good!

      Thanks for sharing, enjoy the book and have a good weekend.

      Yvonne

      Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

      I like the beginning of this book. I definitely want to know more about the narrator and her friend Romina.

      Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Catherine @ Book Club Librarian

      Suko said...

      This sounds like an incredible book! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Unknown said...

      Oh, that sounds like a great read! Stopping by Feeling Beachie.

      Elizabeth said...

      I am wondering what the question is.

      THANKS for sharing.

      Enjoy your weekend.

      BTW…Stop by for a FUN giveaway too: GIVEAWAY

      Elizabeth
      Silver's Reviews
      My Book Beginnings

      Yvonne said...

      I think there are times we all get angry. Have a great weekend!

      LA Botchar said...

      I was just talking with a couple of other moms the other day and we all commented at how we felt our anger at our children most often was actually rooted in Fear. It was kind of an "aha" moment. The knee jerk reaction that we have when we are afraid of their safety, afraid of their behaviour,or defiance. Afraid of the consequences we will to impose as a result of that - and what if they don't do the consequences!? Oye.
      but once we came to this conclusion, it also kind of released us. Because really, you can't control your children or the entire world around them: you can only control your own response.

      Anonymous said...

      I can tell by your pictures that you do have a great smile :)

      Hilary said...

      Sometimes you can't help get angry (well that is what happens to me anyway)

      Jo @ Booklover Book Reviews said...

      This is the first time I have seen this title - the cover art is beautiful and the opening really grabs your attention.

      Vonnie said...

      I wonder why she has to say, "I'm not dead." What happened?

      Thanks for visiting!

      Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

      Interesting beginning because it could be a regular coming-of-age story or it could be something crazy.

      Thanks for posting on Book Beginnings on Friday!