Thursday, December 15, 2011

Booking Through Character or Plot

btt button
What’s more important to you? Real, three-dimensional, fleshed-out fascinating characters? Or an amazing, page-turning plot?

As I read a lot of crime fiction, Plot is very very important for me. With a good plot, the novel fall apart. I simply cannot go on reading it. With a strong plot, characters don't play much role as everything falls into place.

However, characters are very important for literary fiction....and I will leave that for another day...

9 comments:

DawnTreader said...

I always have difficulties with either/or questions. I'm not sure I can think of a book with really good character descriptions but rubbish plot.

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com/2011/12/booking-through-thursday-character-or.html

Cathy De Los Santos said...

I think both are important so it was hard to choose. I'm all for character. Here's my BTT

Anonymous said...

Good answer!
Here’s my Booking Through Thursday post. :)

Vicky @ A Backpack Full of Adventures said...

YES! Finally, someone agrees with me. :) I read a lot of crime fiction as well so even though both are important, I'd choose the plot.

I agree. :) No matter how fascinating the characters are, I'm not going to enjoy the story if the plot bores me.
Here's my answer.

Have a great day!
Vicky
Books, Biscuits & Tea

bermudaonion said...

I like both, but have come to realize that plot is more important to me.

JLS Hall said...

I love it when both the plot and the character(s) are fascinating. But I need a strong plot to keep me reading. Yes, in crime fiction especially!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I agree that it depends on the kind of genre...mysteries wouldn't be worth much without a plot.

Here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST and
MY WEBSITE

Marinela said...

I think both are important!

Take care
Marinela

Melissa Wiebe said...

I agree. Here is mine.