Thursday, September 1, 2011

Booking Through Stormy Weather

btt button

 What’s your book with weather events? Hurricanes? Tornadoes? Blizzards? Real? Fiction? Doesn’t matter … weather comes up a lot in books, so there’s got to be a favorite somewhere, huh?

First literary fiction that came into my mind after reading this question was The Tempest by William ShakespeareIt is set on a remote island, where Prospero, the exiled Duke of Milan, plots to restore his daughter Miranda to her rightful place, using illusion and skilful manipulation. He conjures up a storm, the eponymous tempest, to lure to the island his usurping brother Antonio and the complicit Alonso, King of Naples. There, his machinations bring about the revelation of Antonio's low nature, the redemption of Alonso, and the marriage of Miranda to Alonso's son, Ferdinand.

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy is entirely based on weather and its effect.

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck : The Drought
Macbeth by William Shakespeare: The Fog 
Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak: The Snow and The Cold 
Never Cry Wolf by Cynthia Eden: The Cold

Novels based on Russia do have Snow, Cold and Bleakness as a backdrop

10 comments:

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Ah, YES! I totally forgot about The Tempest...not sure how I could!

Frances said...

Awesome answer. New to the Booking Through Thursdays and to your blog. I had a hard time choosing which type of weather. My answer is at http://www.alaskanbookcafe.com

MeikkiBeibi said...

The Tempest sounds good, only Shakepeare I know is Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet. :)

My Thursday!

Anya Millar said...

Great answer! @ Niina Shakespeare has so many good works other than those two. . . though Hamlet is one of my favs.

Here's my House Millar - BTT

Aine

jlshall said...

Good choices! Especially the Shakespeare. And I had forgotten all about Thomas Hardy.

Anonymous said...

Very good answer.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/booking-through-thursday.html

bermudaonion said...

I would have a tough time coming up with a list, but you did great!

Tia said...

Great answers! I had a hard time thinking of one! New follower!

Here's mine

Alyce said...

I came up with random scenes from books in my head, but nothing where it was the theme of the book. The Tempest is a good one though!

Anonymous said...

Loved The Tempest. I also loved the movie Grapes of Wrath and hope to read the book someday.