Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mondays: Mailbox/What Are You Reading/Musings

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at A Girl and Her BooksStaci from Life in the Thumb  is hosting for the month of August.
Tempest in the Tea LeavesI received two books, thanks to the author/publicist:

1) Tempest in the Tea Leaves by Kari Lee Townsend

Using various fortune telling tools to interpret her visions, Sunny seeks to aid the residents of Divinity, New York. But when she uses tea leaves to read the frazzled town librarian, what lies at the bottom of the cup is anything but helpful.


2) Displaced Persons by Ghita Schwarz

Displaced Persons: A NovelIn May 1945, Pavel Mandl, a Polish Jew recently liberated from a concentration camp, lands near a displaced persons camp in the British occupation zone of newly defeated Germany. Alone, possessing nothing but a map, a few tins of food, a toothbrush, and his identity papers, he must scrape together a new life in a chaotic community of refugees, civilians, and soldiers.

Gifted with a talent for black-market trading, Pavel soon procures clothing, false documents, and a modest house, where he installs himself and a pair of fellow refugees—Fela, a young widow who fled Poland for Russia at the outset of the war, and Chaim, a resourceful teenage boy whose smuggling skills have brought him to the Western zones. The trio soon form a makeshift family, searching for surviving relatives, railing against their circumscribed existence, and dreaming of visas to America.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.

Virtually nothing!

What was the last book you…
• borrowed from the library?
None
• bought?

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
• cried over?
Room by Emma Donoghue
• disliked and couldn’t finish?
Too many!
• read & loved?
Too many!
• got for review? (or: got in the mail?)
Displaced Persons by Ghita Schwarz
• gave to someone else?
I am always giving books!
• stayed up too late reading?

Room by Emma Donghue

31 comments:

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh the first looks wonderful. I love stories like The Lace Reader and other divination bits. Hope you enjoy your reading week!

bermudaonion said...

I've heard Displaced Persons is really good. I hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Tempest in the Tea Leaves looks pretty good. Displaced Persons looks like a great one too. Have a great reading week!

Rachel said...

Yay for your new books, hope you enjoy them.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Oh lucky you...Displaced Persons - I do want to read this one. Hope you enjoy it.

Once again, Thanks for your thoughts of concern for me during Hurricane Irene; I appreciate that.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've always been curious about what would show up if I had my fortune told.

Here's my post for this week: It's Monday! What Are You Reading?! And only two days are left to sign up for the Readerbuzz August Giveaway!

Kaye said...

Displaced Persons is going on my list. Enjoy your new books. Have a wonderful week and happy reading.

Lori said...

I haven't read any of those books or heard of half of them. This one took me a little while to think about. To find out my answers check out My Monday Musing.

Ann said...

Looks like you enjoyed Room (if enjoyed is the right word!) a little more than I did. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but it wasn't that. Very disturbing indeed. I think I'll stick to Emma Donoghue's usual genre of historical fiction - much more my cup of tea!

Jo-Jo said...

Displaced Persons looks like one that I would enjoy. I see you have Room mentioned a couple of times up above...reminds me that I need to read that one soon!

Gigi Ann said...

I haven't heard of Room, will have to put it on my TBR list.

Aisle B said...

I just bought Room so I will keep in mind staying up late. ;)

caite said...

Room was one I really like too. It is a book that I will not forget for a long time.

Anna said...

I can't wait for your thoughts on Displaced Persons. I'm reading it now. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

About time I should get around to reading "Room" - it's the nth time I've read praise about it

Here's my Weekly Meme: Musing Mondays (August 29) post!

Anonymous said...

These both sound like books I would love to read, enjoy!

RAnn said...

Displaced Persons really looks good.

Mandy said...

I'm planning on reading Room this fall, so based on your comments here, I should be very excited!

Bev Hankins said...

Sorry the reading isn't going well for you. Hopefully one of those new books you got will get you going again!

Thanks for stopping by!

Vicki said...

Hmm, thought I'd already left a comment, but I guess not!

Both look really good!

I don't have The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, but have the first two. Did you like the series? I haven't started it yet.

Here's Mine

Unknown said...

great answers! thanks for stopping by :)

KarenSi said...

Sorry to hear you are still having a reading slump. I am sure it will pick up soon. I think we all go through that sometimes.

Yvonne said...

I hope you like Tempest in the Tea Leaves as much as I did. I loved that book! Have a great week!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I hadn't heard of either of them, but Tempest in the Tea Leaves sounds amazing!

Nise' said...

I've been seeing Tempest in the Tea Leaves by Kari Lee Townsend pop up all over the place. Hope you get some reading in this week.

Teddy Rose said...

Displaced Persons by Ghita Schwarz sounds promising. I hope you enjoy both books!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to give 'Room' a try. Thanks for stopping by my site!

Rebecca Chapman said...

Sounds like Room went down well with you. A friend of mine recommended it to me the other day. I really need to get around to it :-)

Teddyree said...

Hope you get your reading mojo back soon. Have a great week :)

Irene said...

I must read Displaced Persons, I also have a copy of Room, and just can't jump into it?

Unknown said...

Hi just hopping through :D Have a wonderful week ;)