Thursday, June 30, 2011

BTT: Down-sizing

btt button

What’s the largest your personal library has ever been? What’s the greatest number of books you’ve ever owned at one time? (Estimates are fine.)
Is your collection NOW the biggest it’s ever been? Or have you down-sized?
What’s the fewest number of books you’ve ever owned (not counting your pre-reading years)?

Once upon a time, I owned more than 4000 books. That included a lot of textbooks too. When we moved to this place, three years ago, I had to down-size. For various reasons. First and foremost was moving to a smaller place and second being, there books I was never going to read. Some had served their purpose too. I  donated around 1500 books to various places..old age homes, children's homes, and local library. I even had my friends pick and choose. 

When I moved to this place, I owned around 2500 books. I still give away a lot of books to the above mentioned places yet I keep adding too, as we all do. I suppose what I own now is the lowest numbers of books, I have ever had. Because I gave away 300 books just few days back and it should stand around 2400! I will stick to that. I have decided not to accumulate. But yes, I love my walls, that is, book walls!

18 comments:

Halie said...

What a lovely place your home must be with all the books that you have!

Yvann said...

That is a huge number of books! Do you catalogue them?

Evangeline said...

That's really cool. It must be heaven on earth living with so many books.

Nicolette said...

I also have a lot of books... around 4000 (not including attic etc)... I find my reading tastes change but not so much that I couldn't imagine wanting to go back to read the book again...

Ludy said...

Wow, I am impressed! That's a lot of books!

Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) said...

I love book walls too! I really want a house where I can have a library. That would be so wonderful!

My BTT answer.

Kristy Powers said...

Oooh, I wish I had been there when you were giving away books! I love to browse others' bookshelves and I'm sure yours are fascinating with so much to look at.
This is my BTT answer:http://schooloutofschool.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday-size-matters.html.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Yes, book walls are good! I like the feeling of books around me...and here's MY BTT POST

Jennifer said...

Great answer!
My BTT can be found at Books That Spark
Hope you have a great day! :)

Bev Hankins said...

We have about the same amount...

Here's my answer: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday-size-matters.html

Anonymous said...

Wow! that's a lot of reading, good for you.

Here's mine:

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday_30.html

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm trying to give away books faster than I obtain new ones!

Ubiquitous...that's books for me...Booking Through Thursday: Size Matters.

Alyce said...

I've always wanted to basically turn my house into a library, but of course that's not exactly practical. I own about 800 books and that's about all I can squeeze in without them taking over the house.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so many books! Your friends are so lucky that they get to come over and choose some! :)

Anonymous said...

That's a great feeling..they are forever, what we read, what we imbibed, what we learned and spread in time..so much to learn, something that's infinite...you are lucky to be amidst reading so voracious!

Hannah said...

I would love to have a library the size of yours! Someday...

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Wow, now that's a lot of books!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm just picturing your walls of books in my mind. Must be beautiful!