Thursday, April 2, 2009

Boking through libraries

btt button
How often do you use your public library and how do you use it? Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library? Did you go to the library as a child? Do you have any particular memories of the library? Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?

I have memberships of two libraries but now I seldom visit those. After I changed my residence, I find both are too far away from my new home. That completely puts me off. Nowadays I love to visit bookstores, where I can browse to my heart's content. I prefer buying books.

When I was in school, I loved my school library. It introduced me to real great books, like the classics and poetry. It was one of my favourite places. When I was not playing Basketball, I was always in the library.

I love old libraries. Wherever I go, I make it a point to visit the older ones. Somehow, the past and present co-exist in such places. The modern, computerised ones have an antiseptic feel which is not conducive for my reading. I wish for the old, cosy ones to be back.

I remembered a while back that I used to run a small library if you can call it that, when I was a kid. We used to pool our resources and buy books, or collect old books, number those and I was in charge of those. Most kids in our block were contributors as well as readers. That way we got to read many books. Now my 13 year-old niece does that. Believe me, I never did mention it to her. Do you think it is in the blood or what?

0 comments: