Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Booking through new authors

1. How did you come across your favorite author(s)? Recommended by a friend? Stumbled across at a bookstore? A book given to you as a gift?

2. Was it love at first sight? Or did the love affair evolve over a long acquaintance?

I was introduced to many authors by my dad. He had a great collection and encouraged me to read. He introduced me to G B Shaw, Somerset Maugham, Rabindranath Tagore when I was very young. In fact my love for the sciences to comes from him. He gifted us Books by Feynman and Einstein. I still have those yellowed leather bound editions.

In my early teenage years, I read too many Mills and Boons romances. Those were very popular amongst girls. I suppose still are. Later years, my brothers introduced me to bestsellers by Alistair Maclean, Grisham and Robert Ludlum. I have read almost all the Perry Masons and Agatha Christies. In my last two years of school, I was hooked to classics.

Then, I suppose friends introduced me to Ayn Rand, Daphne du Maurier etc etc. After that, I just picked up books, I had read about from the media. Marquez is one such author. Steinbeck too. Now I can read almost anything. I try to make it as varied I can. I do not need to be broken into an Author. I can pick up and start reading. From the blog world, I discovered Atwood, Picoult, Gaiman to name just a few.

Many like Steinbeck, Marquez, Atwood, Picoult are love at first sight. A few Russian authors, those evolved over a period of time.

0 comments: