Thursday, September 13, 2007

Booking through comfort food


It’s cold and raining, your boyfriend/girlfriend has just dumped you, you’ve just been fired, the pile of unpaid bills is sky-high, your beloved pet has recently died, and you think you’re coming down with a cold. All you want to do (other than hiding under the covers) is to curl up with a good book, something warm and comforting that will make you feel better.

What do you read?


A very thoughtful question. When I am undergoing any kind of turmoil, I tend to read books, which can uplift me by making me, laugh... One book, which never fails, is Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. The idiosyncrasies of the three friends are enough to lift up my spirits. I re-read comics like Asterix and Tintin.

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carol does wonders along with The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder. Both are pure fantasies but in different ways. I can read poetry too as I write poetry. In my dark hours, I mostly resort to write poetry. I love especially Rumi, cummings, Frost, Elliot and Mary Oliver. Then there are soft romances, which can take me out of any kind of dark moods.


0 comments: